So just a quicky post here – check out this article “Are you in denial about your weight?”. The ‘expert’ consulted recommends asking yourself the following questions to determine if you are indeed in denial:
- Do I have a body weight that falls within a healthy body mass index range?
- Does my body reflect who I really am?
- Do I honour and respect my body the way I should?
- Does my body support everything I want to do with my life?
The media are in denial if they think this article is newsworthy and they think that the quote above is publishable! My first (and last) rebuttal must be: Who is the ‘I’ in the above question? I would argue that the ‘I’ is more illuminating if replaced with ‘society’, hence:
- Does society judge me to have a body weight that falls within their healthy body mass index range?
- Does my body reflect who society thinks I really am?
- Does society honour and respect my body the way society should?
- Does my body support everything society wants me to do with my life?
This at least demonstrates where the desire inherent to attempts at weight loss ‘Really’ lies – that is, with the answer to the elusive question: Why are we so interested in the size of the Other?